This is one of my go-to meals. These burrito bowls are a super easy recipe that I love making when I don’t want to think about cooking anything fancy for dinner – and it also tastes really good! The best part is you probably already have most, if not all of these ingredients in your fridge/freezer and pantry.
- 1/2lb organic ground turkey
- 1/2 of a white onion, diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 can tomatoes (I used fire roasted for more flavor)
- 1 can black beans
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 1/4 cub low sodium chicken broth
- 2 TBSP taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
1. In a large pan over medium heat, cook ground turkey until most of the pink color is gone. Mix in onion and cook until about translucent. Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to instructions.
2. Add rice to pan, mix well. Then add tomatoes, black beans, corn and salsa. Mix well.
3. Add in chicken broth, taco seasoning and salt and pepper, mix well. Top with cheese. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Once done, remove from heat and let sit for at least 5 minutes, as it will be extremely hot. Divide into bowls and top with additional cheese, sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
If you want to make this a little dish healthier, don’t add cheese. I love that this recipe is simple, has a lot of flavor and is pretty healthy overall.